Diets, drama, and being dimissed

 For as long as I can remember, I have been unhappy in my own skin. I have tried every diet you can imagine. Some very healthy- while others- not so much. 

Mae and I working out

In college I had a large amount of success with Weight Watchers- Now WW, and lost 75+lbs. I have managed to keep that weight off for my entire adult life (other than being pregnant). In 2017 I found Melissa Urban's "The Whole30" and felt like an incredible light bulb had gone off. I felt good in my skin, I lost the weight and I felt like I had found the "thing" that worked for me. Not to mention, I lost an additional 25 lbs. 

The Whole 30 is amazing, don't get me wrong. I have coached many people through their own journeys and I still think it is an incredible tool to help understand our bodies and the way we nourish them. If you have never done a Whole30- I still encourage people to try it. Whole30 gave me confidence in my food choices, confidence in my own abilities, and overall a general understanding of my body. As time has continued on I have learned more little quirks about my body.

BUT

Since Mae was born (our youngest) I have struggled with my overall body health. Sure, I could make excuses-  moving across the country, having a baby, post partum, Covid, working,  life....all the things. The truth is that I just don't feel good. My body is tired. I am sore and puffy all the time. Even though I have completed multiple rounds of the Whole30 since she was born I am not seeing the same results as I have in the past. Mae turns 3 in 16 days and I am still trying to be comfortable in my body.

Right now the world is focused on self love and being ok with the bodies we are in. Honestly, I love this for people who need that because it is a beautiful thing. For me- I know I need to lose weight. My body doesn't like carrying around this extra 20lbs. In regards to self love, I am incredibly proud of my body and what it has helped me accomplish. In saying that I also know that I need to THANK my body by taking care of it. Taking care of it means understanding it.

When I voiced my concerns to my healthcare provider it was dismissed as "stress" and "isolation" related issues. I am not sure about you but for me, that was not helpful. 

Why? Why do we rush to take medicines and all the other things when it comes to our "health" but when it comes to things that we want to change it is dismissed? People are willing to try supplements, shakes, pills, and really anything that will give them a "quick fix." WHY? 

I know that my body is not happy. I can feel it and do feel it everyday. I am not looking for someone to validate that life right now is overwhelming, chaotic and stress-filled. What I am looking for is someone to say "I see you, I hear you- and this is how we can help."

In walks a friend

My good friend introduced me to something a little more focused than the Whole30. Same premise. The idea is trying to understand what foods react with my body. While reading this book I often thought that this is intense, crazy and not realistic. Then I think to myself "why?" Why is it crazy to think that food we eat has a direct correlation to how our bodies feel? Why is it crazy to do something for ourselves for a set amount of time that could change the way we nourish ourselves, feel about ourselves, and truly care for ourselves? Why is it crazy to try and understand my own body chemistry and biology?

I don't think it is crazy. So tune in- Ill share more later

Cheers


Comments

  1. You make me so proud of you! Your admission of your feelings and your eloquence in saying how you feel, and then following it all with the plan to better yourself.
    You my friend are amazing! ❤️B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I adore you and miss you so much

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts