An Urn- or two- Learning about Wabi Sabi

 I like clay- alot. 

In Highschool I took ceramics and loved it BUT hated it because my teacher only accepted "perfect" pots. I am not perfect. I am not a professional. I love working with clay and creating things but I have learned to embrace the "wabi sabi." 

In 2020 for our 9 year anniversary I was able to surprise Andy with a "Date night" pottery class. You may not know this but the traditional anniversary gift for 9 years is pottery.  I stumbled upon the most amazing studio-Norris Arts. The studio owners Ted & Anna are two of the most kind and incredible people. Our date night was amazing and sparked a love for clay all over again. Since that night I have made sure to get some "clay therapy" time at least once a week at the studio AND handbuilding on my own time at home. 


Enough of a history lesson- let's get to it. 

My father (and my mother too) was a huge supporter of my creative outlets. On social media he would comment and like my posts. He was really proud. This is something I will miss and something I didn't realize that I would miss so much. 

When I flew to the Midwest to spend his last days with him I got to talking with my  mom and she mentioned that I could create his urn. Me being me- I asked my dad what he thought (even if it was morbid.) He loved the idea and I felt special that this is something I could do. 

The clay community is very very amazing- but I didn't realize how amazing.  In the middle of the night while at the hospital with my dad, I started sending DM's and emails to local ceramic studios to see if anyone had the ability to help me with this project. The ask was great. I needed clay, tools, firing time, glaze, more firing time.... I was very clear about the situation and didn't have big hopes. Shockingly-every single shop I reached out to answered me and all of them offered to help one way or another. Lemon Street is a studio right near my parents home and they were the studio that was able to help the most. The people there showed an un-real amount of love and support. The studio supplied me with clay and all the tools I would need- down to a simple brush for slip. I will forever be thankful. 

Over the course of three days I built 2 urns, one I don't remember starting because I was so tired. My dad got to see me working on it. I moved my "station" next to his bed and worked on it while watching "The Price is Right" with him. When he was awake his hands got to hold some of the clay. While visiting and saying goodbyes my sisters kids got to put their hands on it. My mom was there to tell me what she liked and what she thought would work best. In the end,  they aren't perfect, they are beautiful. Both of them- imperfectly perfect.





Why two? Well, because I know that clay is not perfect. Sometimes it breaks, cracks, or just doesn't work. So I made two. A backup- or maybe it was something more special. 

The beauty in this is that sometimes things happen in life for a reason. With a very special turn of events, both urns will be used. Both  will be a resting place for loved ones. My father will rest in a place that was build by hands that loved him. In a place that was surrounded with love and support for him. The second- well, that isn't my story to share- but I am honored. The wabi sabi of these urns is that life isn't perfect. The moments that we create memories are the moments to be celebrated. 

If you are local to a studio- show them some love. You never really know how amazing people are. This journey has shown me that there really are incredible people out there....More stories to come.


Cheers

Comments

Popular Posts