Disappointment

When you were growing up were you taught about disappointments?

As parents to young kiddos were are learning how to navigate teaching disappointments. Sometimes the disappointment lasts only moments and sometimes it is a BIG feeling that takes days to overcome.

I remember when I was little - my mother teaching my sister and I that disappointments were actually the best way to learn. If we were upset by something or someone it gave us the chance to figure out why. Our mother encouraged us to really explore why we were disappointed and then to figure out how to overcome it. It wasn't an easy lesson to learn but a good one.

Often I still call my mom and ask her advice about things. Sometimes it is just to vent and let it all out (because you know- that's still her job to listen).

Today I was disappointed. 

I am sitting here trying to figure out why I am upset. Is it personal? Was it a personal disappointment? Was is a professional disappointment? What is the root for this disappointment? I haven't figured it out....


I know this: I am hurt. Not for me though. I am hurt for someone else. To see people mis-used and under appreciated is physically painful for me. 
No one is physically hurt- nothing is a big deal at the moment and in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal...As we try and teach our kids about disappointment sometimes it is imperative that we have a little lesson as well. 

This morning we had a lesson. I am learning from it.




You might be wondering why there is a photo of a Lego here...This Lego is a big deal. Our oldest son Gus has had a love affair with Legos for a few years now. His goal in life (currently) is to become a Lego "masterbuilder" and to make the best "creations" out there. He loves to build sets and then quickly take them apart to create something bigger and better. 
Andy travels pretty often for work. About a year ago he sent me a photo of this …Gus had hidden it in his backpack with a note. It is a computer. Gus built it for him. THIS.WAS.HUGE. Gus doesn't openly share his Legos. He often is disappointed when asked to share them. So for him to leave Andy with one was an enormous leap for him. Since the day he snuck it away in Andy's bag it has gone on every trip that Andy or I have gone on. Andy then takes a photo and sends it to Gus to show him were the Lego has been. 

Today this little Lego photo popped up on my phone. At the beginning of the month I had to travel back to the Midwest to be with my family as my grandmother passed away. Andy had hidden the computer in my wallet and this was the photo I snapped when I found it...It reminded me that disappointments hurt but sometimes they bring about the best truths. 

So today as I am disappointed. I will hold onto this little Lego piece and think of the bigger picture.

Do you have a way to help understand disappointments?

Cheers!

-Sara

Comments

  1. What a great writing! This too shall pass. Your oldest son has an insight into people not many young people have. That will serve him well. That Lego computer speaks volumes. I hope you feel better soon. Love you! Each disappointment in life makes you stronger. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great writing! This too shall pass. Your oldest son has an insight into people not many young people have. That will serve him well. That Lego computer speaks volumes. I hope you feel better soon. Love you! Each disappointment in life makes you stronger. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts